Solved

HTML Title

• 1 June 2020
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hello

I am trying to edit the HTML Title of the produced web pages.   By default it looks like it’s <title>%1</title> which can be found within the HTML/Title element of the template, but I can’t figure out how to get it to say the actual recording Title there, and not the Shelf. 

%1 appears to be the shelf.  I looked down a bit more in the template and noticed under the body it uses %8 for the topic title (in the local-title h1 element), but when I tried to use %8 for this field, it returned an empty value.

So a couple questions:

1. What %variable do I need to refer to in order to get the Topic Title in the Html Title element?
  2. Is there a master list of these %1, %2, %3, etc and how they work?
  3. Obviously I couldn’t just use %8 which works later in the template in this spot, why is that?

Thank you

-Kevan

icon

Best answer by Morten 10 June 2020, 22:53

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge

Hello

I am trying to edit the HTML Title of the produced web pages.   By default it looks like it’s <title>%1</title> which can be found within the HTML/Title element of the template, but I can’t figure out how to get it to say the actual recording Title there, and not the Shelf. 

%1 appears to be the shelf.  I looked down a bit more in the template and noticed under the body it uses %8 for the topic title (in the local-title h1 element), but when I tried to use %8 for this field, it returned an empty value.

So a couple questions:

1. What %variable do I need to refer to in order to get the Topic Title in the Html Title element?
  2. Is there a master list of these %1, %2, %3, etc and how they work?
  3. Obviously I couldn’t just use %8 which works later in the template in this spot, why is that?

Thank you

-Kevan

Hi Kevan, 

Due to the way the site is constructed, it will always say the highest level on the html title element. It is not possible to change this, as the page is opened within the same frame, rather than in a tab or window of its own, for example.

But, you can see the titles of the shelf, book, and current recording respectively in two other places:

Sample shelf

in the URL you will have an identification of which shelf, book, and recording is shown.

in the navigation bread crumbs you can also see which are expanded and shown:

Sample%20shelf.htm?b=Sample%20book&r=how%20to%20change%20production%20file%20formats

There is no master list for the title usage and generation by the template i’m afraid.

Due to the way the site is constructed it is not possible to force the recording title to be shown in the html title tab.

Hover over tab