Open

Additional Show Me / Try me controls

• 15 May 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Users are requesting several improvements within the video player such as we see in YouTube and other media players.

• Controllable playback speed  (1.5x, 2x etc)
  • Skip backwards 15 secs
  • Skip forward 30 secs
  • Progress bar slide shows the timespot (users then start watching at a timespot)
  • User controlled closed captions display 

3 replies

Userlevel 2

Thanks, Michael. I am going ask the team to look at this. I know that some of the time-to-step issues, may have been solved in the new release, enabling us to actually measure more accurately on time. But let me get back with a better answer, once we have looked through it.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Thank @Morten.   Those are all great features we are using. 

Here are some of the common reasons our users want to control their own experience.

• I’ve watched this before but want a refresher so want to zip along faster and get to the part i’m need help with
  • Skip backwards 15 secs
    • ​​​​​​​Wait, what was that, I want to see/hear that again...and again..
  • Skip forward 30 secs
    • ​​​​​​​Yah, yah, I know this...that let me jump ahead to the part that I’m interested in
  • Progress bar slide shows the timespot (users then start watching at a timespot)
    • ​​​​​​​User A to User B. How do I perform this function?  B says start watching at 3:35 of this recording. 
    • ​​​​​​​I’ve forgot my headphones/in a noisy location/unable to hear and want to watch a video without the audio but need to read the speaker notes
Userlevel 4

Users are requesting several improvements within the video player such as we see in YouTube and other media players.

• Skip backwards 15 secs
  • Skip forward 30 secs

Hi @Michael Foster :)

In clicklearn mainly the author has the control of how the content will look for the end user.

The author can control exactly which steps in the video should have subtitles and/or audio.

video control options in video role

You can furthermore do a split, where you have certain items present in the written documentation, but not in the video and vice-versa.

It is also possible to control another two aspects, mainly the speed - but this is again from the author side, as they are ultimately masters of how the content should be presented. You can add a flag so that the mouse animation happens at the same time as the voice narration, speeding up the video significantly. Furthermore you can adjust the speed of the voice, but due to the nature of the chipmonk effect i would not recommend that.

Please keep in kind that the audience of the video may well be seeing the process for the very first time, and even though you may be well aware of the process, it may be hard for them to follow something brand new if it goes too fast.

The control of the end user extends to the TOC and the progress slider. The slider will auto-pick the step that it is on, it will never start in the middle of a step or the middle of a sentense as this would not make sense from a comprehension perspective.

I highly recommend using the TOC as a navigation method for your videos. To be honest, often people don’t need the entire process, but rather just the parts ther are uncertain about - this way the chapter navigation is an amazing tool. It also carries over to the HTML, word, and pdf view so that the navigation options are the same all over.

This is the button for that:

chapter navigation using the table of content

I hope this clarifies a bit with what you can already do in ClickLearn Studio :)