Solved

Need Information - Using click learn for Windows based tools

• 27 February 2024
  • 1 reply

Hello Team,

I'm currently exploring the use of ClickLearn for my documentation needs to streamline my workflow. So far, I've found that the tool functions smoothly for web-based applications, effectively capturing screens and providing instructions based on mouse movements and clicks.

However, I've encountered some difficulties when using ClickLearn with Windows-based applications, particularly with capturing screens from the installation wizard of my application. My goal is to document all the installation steps and create a comprehensive installation guide, but I'm struggling to capture the installation screens and any overlay screens such as pop-ups that require user action.

I'm wondering if there are any restrictions or limitations when using ClickLearn with web-based applications. Any advice or suggestions on overcoming these challenges would be greatly appreciated.

Additionally, I have my application installed on a server, and I've also installed ClickLearn on the same machine. However, after installation, I couldn't locate the record window/button in the tool. Could there be any restrictions related to the operating system? Will ClickLearn work properly with server OS?

Any insights you can provide would be very helpful. Thank you.

icon

Best answer by Morten 27 February 2024, 11:24

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge

Hi @npounraj,

Due to standard windows security, clicklearn is only allowed to record what is executed in the same user context - meaning if you launch clicklearn as your standard system user, but launch the program you want to record as an administrator, then clicklearn is not allowed to read that users content - its standard.

For example, if you want to record Putty, being an admin - then you need to launch clicklearn studio as an admin.

Not all applications are written in such a way that they can be recorded with clicklearn. But you can modify and edit your recordings so that all the formats work, including the interactive videos.

The assist and replay need proper connector support, BUT in some instances they work fine on third party applications, it really depends on how they are coded.

I can recommend this video:

https://community.clicklearn.com/morten%2Ds%2Dcorner%2D74/recording%2Dwindows%2Dapplications%2D562?postid=1511#post1511

If you need anything else, let me know :)