Steps and best practices on implementing APT with ClickLearn

• 29 May 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

APT (Automatic Process Testing) sounds great, it sounds like something that can do all the work for you! It really is a fantastic tool, but it also needs an in-depth understanding of ClickLearn and the business system that you want to support. 

APT makes sense if you want to test your processes end-to-end. For example, here is a list of small processes that could go together in ERP systems: 

• Creating a sales order 

• Adding an item to the sales order 

• Confirming the sales order line 

• Connecting the sales order to a shipment 

These four different processes would typically involve four different work instructions to be created for the end users, however they also need to work together as a flow of processes. 

To test this, you can put all four processes into a book and replay the complete book. When you do this, make sure that the next process can start where the first one ended and so forth. 

When replaying in general, you must ensure that all your data is valid and available in the system. 

You can control the data locally in the recording, trough an Excel sheet or centrally in the global replay data repository. 

The benefit of controlling the globally is that you can capture data in one process that you want to have available for other processes. In this way, you can test your end-to-end processes completely, instead of noting down what you need to remember for the next process. So, as I started off saying, this really is a great tool if you know what you are doing. 

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

The instructions at https://www.clicklearn.com/media/ClickLearn%20Learning%20Portal/ClickLearn%20Learning%20Portal.htm?b=Quality%20Assurance%20and%20Testing&r=Data%20driven%20testing do a very good job of showing how to use the GetRepeaterValue function in conjunction with data in an Excel file to vary the data that is entered into a text field. But what if you want to automate the selection of dropdown menu options? Is there a particular function that can be used for that?

Userlevel 6
Badge

Hi @RichardPower :)

If i understand you correctly, you might be able to do that with replay cases in combination with flow tags. It is quite advanced however, the most advanced feature we have - but if you are already diving into excel repeater values, you might already be swimming in the deep end :D

check this article out:

https://community.clicklearn.com/automated-process-testing-73/planning-your-apt-setup-167

And this one:

https://community.clicklearn.com/morten-s-corner-74/flow-roles-and-decision-gates-52

There is a bit to read, and there are a few videos here too - but the comination should give you what you need.

Shoot me a mail on support@clicklearn.com if you would like to do a remote session to look at this together :)

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Thanks Morten!  I just opened a support ticket on this topic but will use this thread and see if I can swim in the deep end longer :grinning: